Over the previous ten years, the social media industry is growing constantly. Every day new platforms are emerging. Social media companies are always trying to market social media forums to their fullest. This is the reason that the social landscape is always changing and this makes it difficult for marketers and businesses to remain updated. In this post, we’ll look at the latest social media statistics you should be aware of right now. We’ll look at all of the prominent platforms’ demographics and tendencies. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and much more.
These social media facts will assist you in determining who is utilizing a particular platform and will provide crucial information on which your social media strategy should be based.
So, let’s get started.
Let’s start with some broad statistics of social media to gain a better understanding of the business as a whole.
- Globally, the number of active users on social media is 4.2 billion. This means, more 490 million people have joined social media after 2020. It proves that social media is still fast increasing. It also accounts for 53.6 percent of the world’s population (approx. 7.8 billion people).
Yes, you read that correctly: more than half of the world’s population uses social media. That is even more surprising when you found that the internet is only available to 4.66 billion people.
- 74% of Americans use social media. As a result, the United States is among the top countries in terms of social media usage. In Europe, 79 % of the population use social media. Africa is at the bottom in social media usage.
- Females in the United States use social media more than males. The difference is also quite big. In the United States, 78 percent of women use social media, compared to only 69 percent of men. However, that gender disparity appears to be unique to the United States. The opposite is true in many other countries.
In Western Africa, for example, men use social media for more than women (73 percent) (46 percent). Men in Southern Asia, Western Europe, Central America, and South-Eastern Asia are also more likely to use social media.
When creating your strategy, keep in mind the gender variations in social media usage.
- Every day, internet users spend 2 hours and 25 minutes on social media. Users spend an average of 1 hour and 12 minutes playing games, according to the research. This makes social media more popular than gaming.
- By the end of 2021, social media ad spending is estimated to reach $49 billion. This is a 21.3 percent increase since 2020 according to social media stats 2020. The global epidemic may be a reason for the increase in ad spending.
Although many businesses decreased their advertising and marketing budgets early in the pandemic. But the increased consumers use of social media as a result of national lockdowns pushed several to rethink their approach and spend more in society to take advantage of the enhanced reach.
Next, it’s a time for Twitter stats, a major social media network.
- In the United States, Twitter has 73 million users. The United States has the most Twitter users. With 55.55 million Twitter users, Japan is in second place, while India is in third place with only 22.1 million users.
- People between the ages of 18 and 29 are the most active on Twitter. 42% of persons in this age group use Twitter. 27% in the 30-49 age bracket and 18% in the 50-64 age bracket use Twitter.
Senior citizens do not much use Twitter, with only 7% of US adults over 65 using the social media network. This suggests that Twitter could be a good medium for marketers who want to reach out to a younger audience. If you’re aiming to reach an older demographic, though, you might be better suited to concentrate your efforts on a different site, such as Facebook.
- 42% of Twitter users in the United States have a college. Surprisingly, this statistic reveals that Twitter appears to be popular among well-educated people. In comparison, only 29% of Facebook users and only 27% of YouTube viewers have a college degree.
Only LinkedIn has higher popularity among graduates. 56 percent of its user population has a college degree or above. This makes it logical, given that LinkedIn is a professional network for career growth and networking. The explanation for the popularity of Twitter among college grads is not much clear.
- Only 10% of users are responsible for 92 percent of all Tweets. The most active Twitter users are accountable for the majority of the content on the platform. The majority of Twitter users utilize it to read content and news, and they only publish once in a while. It’s a small percentage of really active people who post regularly.
Let’s talk about everyone’s favorite platform Facebook.
- Without a doubt, Facebook is the most famous social media forum on the earth. It is the world’s biggest social media platform, with over 2.8 billion daily active members.
Not only that, but the corporation now owns Instagram, Facebook Messenger, and WhatsApp, among other important social apps and platforms.
- According to reports, advertisements can reach 2.18 billion of these consumers. As per the WeAreSocial and Hootsuite Digital Report for 2021, Facebook advertisements can reach slightly over 2 billion users. As a result, it is a very beneficial platform for both marketers and enterprises. Facebook offers a variety of sales and advertising features, making it a popular choice among social media marketers and businesses.
- 73 percent of Facebook users in the United States browse the site daily. For many users, Facebook has become an integral part of their everyday lives. Official figures show that 73 percent of Facebook users access the site daily. Furthermore, more than 90% of users visit the site at least once every week.
- 25.7 percent of Facebook users are 24- 35 years old. Facebook also has developed a reputation as a “boomer” platform, catering to an older audience. While it’s true that a bigger number of Gen X and Baby Boomers use Facebook than other platforms, this fact reveals that millennials are the most active users.
Almost a quarter of individuals in this age group use Facebook, compared to 18.1 percent of those in the 35-44 age group, 13.6 percent of those in the 45-54 age group, 11 percent of those in the 55-64 age group, and 10.6 percent of those above 65.
Importantly, only 2.9 percent of individuals between the ages of 13 and 17 use Facebook. This shows that the platform’s future may be uncertain.
People share photos and videos on Instagram. Facebook owns Instagram. Here are some of the recent Instagram statistics.
- With more than 1 billion monthly users, Instagram is a very popular site.
Since then, the site has added new features like ‘Reels,’ a video sharing feature, as well as advertising and sales choices. This makes it highly popular with both users and companies. This ultimately shows social media growth in various aspects.
- 32% of Instagram users are between the ages of 25 and 34.
If you want to reach out to the millennial demographic, Instagram is a wonderful place to start. Around 32% of its members are between the ages of 25 and 30, making it the platform’s most common age group.
Instagram is also rather popular among 18-25-year-olds, who account for roughly 29.9% of all users.
- According to the number of active users, Instagram is the fourth most popular social networking platform.
Since its launch in 2010, Instagram has maintained its popularity and established itself as one of the most popular social media networks. The app is the fourth most popular social networking site, behind Facebook, YouTube, and WhatsApp.
- 90% of Instagram users follow at least one business account. Instagram does an excellent job of connecting businesses and consumers. Almost every Instagram user follows at least one business account, according to information released in an Instagram article.
Customers take it as a platform where they can find brands. This aspect makes it a terrific platform for launching branded marketing and influencer campaigns.
- 81 percent of Instagram users claim it helps them in product and service research.
Consumers are aware that Instagram is a perfect location for businesses to post details about their services and products.
Other main social platform statistics (TikTok, YouTube WhatsApp, etc.)
We’ve already looked at some interesting facts about the ‘big three’ social media networks. They aren’t, however, the only sites to consider when developing a social media strategy.
Here are some fascinating facts regarding TikTok, YouTube, WhatsApp, and other social media platforms.
- TikTok was downloaded 315 million times in the first quarter of 2020, according to social media statistics 2020. The Chinese social media site TikTok debuted in the pandemic. Even though the site has been online for a while, adoption in the western world had been slow.
However, as more people sought new ways to pass the time at home, the inventive video platform grew in popularity. In hardly three months, it had been downloaded over 300 million times.
- After Tinder, TikTok makes second position in consumer spend for smartphone apps. TikTok is proving to be an especially beneficial platform for marketers, even though it is still relatively new on the landscape. This is primarily due to the platform’s users’ spending habits.
TikTok has the second-highest consumer spend of all mobile apps, according to WeAreSocial/Hootsuite. It also has many ad types that make it simple to combine high-converting ads with the platform’s normal content.
- When it comes to messaging apps, WhatsApp is the most popular social media messaging app in the world, closely followed by Facebook Messenger. On an average day, users exchange approximately 100 billion texts and make close to 100 million voice calls using the app. Business persons also use this app for the communication purpose.
- WhatsApp is available in more than 180 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. Amazingly, India, which has over 390 million WhatsApp users, is the country where it is most popular. India’s economy is growing, which may add to the desire to send frequent and short messages and make free phone calls via wifi.
- YouTube is the world’s second most popular website. It is the most viewed website in the world after Google (the parent corporation of YouTube). The site received almost 20 billion visitors in January 2020 alone, with 1.947 million of those being unique. People also use it to search queries.
- Not only does YouTube garner over 20 billion monthly views, but active, logged-in users account for a considerable portion of those views. Every month, YouTube has about 2 billion logged-in users, according to YouTube data. As a result, it’s the ideal platform for raising brand awareness and cultivating a loyal following.
- Females make up 77.1 percent of Pinterest’s ad audience. Pinterest could be a great place to use for your social media marketing struggles if your products or services are mainly targeted towards females. When it comes to gender, Pinterest, unlike most platforms, has a pretty unequal split. According to figures provided in WeAreSocial and Hootsuite’s Digital 2021 study, about 80% of Pinterest’s ad viewers is female.
- As per the social media usage statistics, in 2020, the number of people using Pinterest increased by 46%. Pinterest, like many other social media networks, had significant growth in 2020. Pinterest became the go-to place for inspiration and information as more people stayed at home and started hobbies or DIY projects. As a result, the number of users increased by about 50% in just one year, in 2020.
- Nearly half of all Snapchat users are between the ages of 15 and 25. Although Snapchat is ranked 12th among the most popular social media sites, it’s worth considering, especially if your target demographic is primarily teenagers and young adults. According to Statista, a massive 48 percent of Snapchat users are under the age of 25. This is the site to use if you want to reach out to young people.
- Snapchat is also an emerging app to market social media. It is important to note that Snapchat’s user base is likewise very evenly split between men and women. Females account for 54% of Snapchat users, while males account for 46%. As a result, it might be a good area to market products that are aimed towards younger females and guys.
As per the social media statistics, anyone can analyze that social media is a booming industry. Whether you’re a digital marketer, blogger, or entrepreneur, social media is an effective medium that can help you authentically connect with your target audience.
Hopefully, the data in this post has given you a better understanding of the social media state as a whole.